Academic Cluster Overview
COSMOS students enroll in one course "cluster" for the duration of the four-week program. Each cluster focuses on a different science, mathematics, or engineering topic. Each cluster will enroll about 16 to 25 students.
Each cluster is comprised of two science, math and/or engineering courses and one transferable skills course. Each course is designed and instructed by UCSC faculty, lecturers, researchers and graduate students. During the four weeks, students research and prepare a final project which is presented to other students and their home communities.
Summer 2017 Cluster offerings:
- Number Theory and Discrete Math*
- Nanochemistry and Nanotechnology*
- Under the Sea: Exploring Marine Organisms and Oceanography*
- California Hazards: Earthquakes and Climate Change*
- Video Game Design: From Concept to Code*
- Computer Networking and Robotics
- Astrophysics: From Dying Stars to Distant Galaxies*
- Marine Mammals and Oceanography: From Prey to Predators
*Some clusters require the completion of certain high school courses. Before applying to a cluster, make sure that you have completed all of the necessary pre-requisites.