What is COSMOS?
The California State Summer School for Mathematics & Science
COSMOS is a 4-week, residential summer program for high school scholars with demonstrated interest and achievement in math and science. COSMOS provides students with an unparalleled opportunity to work side-by-side with outstanding researchers and UC Santa Cruz faculty, covering topics that extend beyond the typical high school curriculum.
2024 Program Info!
- More specific dates for the 2024 cycle will be released in October
- Check out our instagram and blog for 2023 summer highlights
Dates & Deadlines
- late Nov, Dec, Jan
Zoom Info Sessions, links to Zoom will be posted here in Nov
- early Dec
- Clusters Finalized
- 2nd week of Jan
- Application Opens
- 2nd week of Feb
- Application Closes, Financial Aid Application Due
- Late March
- 1st round of admits notified
- Portal Confirmation, Tuition, and Acceptance Packet Due
- Early June
- Zoom Orientation Sessions for Admitted Students who have Confirmed COSMOS Attendance and Paid Tuition
- Late June
- Welcome Email: Opening Day Instructions, Recording of Orientation, etc.
- Sun, July 7-Sat, Aug 3
- 2024 Program Dates
Clusters listed below are 2023 offerings. Explore our COSMOS “clusters” or courses provided here at UCSC by clicking the images below! Each cluster is comprised of two science, math and/or engineering courses and one transferable skills course. (if an “*” follows the cluster title, that cluster has a prerequisite)
Each summer, a group of COSMOS students publish a weekly e-newsletter during the program, Macrocosm. See the program through their eyes through the links below.